Sunday, December 25, 2011

Your Argument is Invalid

Whether you are right or wrong, if your argument is littered with blatant spelling or grammatical errors. it is rendered invalid in my eyes.

Part of this is due to the medium. Think of it this way. When I read something, I'm reading it with a voice in my head. If you misspell a few words, that voice becomes slurred, so in effect, it's like arguing with a drunk. Your errors may not, in reality, be representative of your actual intelligence level, but my perception of your intelligence level is impacted.

Also, when you sit and type something, your are representing yourself. You are making an impression on the reader. If that impression is sloppy, slurred, and full of hate speech, you will not get very far with me.

On a related note, short-hand works for texting and such, but make sure you are using common short-hand. If I have to sit here with my decoder ring (aka Google, Urban Dictionary), I won't even bother reading it. So, if you are trying to make a point, make it clear.

You can thank the merciless, sharp, and scathing criticism of my high school English teacher for this rant. As much as I loathed diagramming sentences, at least I can string together a coherent thought.

If I have struck a nerve and you are ready to turn away from your sinful ways, please see this.

No comments:

Blog Archive